In a message to block watch Captains, the Seattle Police Crime Prevention unit announced:
Dear Block Watch Captains/Contacts: Sending you a few items of interest.
1. The North Precinct Burglary/Theft Unit continues to follow up on recent burglary arrests done by North Precinct patrol officers, and due in some part to your watchfulness and good 9-1-1 calls. The 19 year old serial occupied burglar and auto thief who was hitting the north end neighborhoods hard approx. 8 weeks ago has been charged with nearly 10 years. He is in jail and won’t be released for a long time.
2. A 39-year old, white female was arrested last week for multiple burglaries in the north end, some in which the residents were home at the time of the crime. She confessed to detectives that she is an addict, and she preferred burglaries to prostitution. She spent the day with detectives showing them houses she had hit. She told the detectives that she was surprised how many people leave their house keys out in mailboxes; or on the front porch (she found keys in a pair of shoes on front porch). Please re-think the hide-away key. You may think it is unusual to put in under a paving stone, or huge flower pot, etc. but burglars who do this for a living, know our hiding spots. She also told the detectives that she often looked in the windows and could see the desirable loot in plain sight (purses, cash, electronics).
3. I talked with a gentleman today who lives in the Maple Leaf neighborhood. Evidently, yesterday during the glorious weather we had, he was gardening in the front yard. A thief, unseen by neither the homeowner nor nearby neighbors, entered this home through the unlocked back door and took cash and prescription meds. from a back bedroom. I know it may be inconvenient to keep your doors locked when you are home and gardening, but these crimes are quick and contribute to our burglary rate increases during summer months.
4. The Phinney Ridge blog was filled with reports of suspicious magazine solicitors so I attach information on Residential Sales from the City’s Dept. of Finance and Admin. for your perusal.
5. National Night Out is coming on August 7th but some block watchers are inquiring about registration already. J I will send out an email when the registration information is on the website.
Thanks for sharing this information with your neighbors and distribution lists.
Seattle Police Crime Prevention
You can read the document about door-to-door salesmen here.
One Response to Update from Seattle Police Crime Prevention